Friday, March 23, 2012

YOU THINK THAT YOUR JOB TURNED OUT BAD?

A few months ago I was given a very thick, fancy art book.

I have a nice collection of art books, most of which are case bound. I paged through this book quickly and then set it on my book stand so that I could read it more thoroughly. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the sheets were starting to separate. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the cheese cloth, to which the sewn signatures are bound, was old, cracked and falling apart. Also, the threads from the sewing have loosened and are fraying. It is just a matter of time before the book falls apart. I also doubt that I am the only one experiencing this problem. Perhaps the glue was old or the cheese cloth was of inferior quality. This is a heavy book and at over $100, somewhat expensive.

Shouldn’t they have used a better case binding process? What do you think caused this?

Please e-mail me with your ideas on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment